Do you ever sit there and suck up all the negative energy in the room? Every so often, sat at my desk at work, I realise I’m scowling for no good reason.
I’m a sponge. When people are happy, I feel happy to. When they’re crying, I can feel my own tears welling up in support. It’s nice to be in tune with people but not when you’re magnetically pulling other people’s anger and despondency toward you. Not when you have your own issues to work through, man! I know I’m not the only one who feels this way btw.
When a day like this is happening, and I want to avoid making my face wrinkles any worse by frowning all day, I do one, some or all of the following:
- Type up a five-minute blog post like this one
- Eat something cheerful, like pink marshmallows or strawberry laces
- Go onto ASOS.com quickly and buy something small to be delivered the next day. This is why I’m poor FYI
- Eat cake
- Look at pictures of Panda’s cat, Pudding who is my new one true love
- Ditto photos of Bertha Mason, sweet princess baby of my Blog Wife
- Listen to podcasts – usually film or true crime (I recently got onto untoldmurder.com and really need to get round to badfatbroads.com, which is neither film or crime themed)
- Go for a walk and talk to colleagues under the guise of ‘working’ for ten minutes (more often 48)
- Think about my new tattoos and future tattoos
- Talk about the Kardashian/Jenners – I know this is lots of people’s idea of hell but their lives are pure escapism to me and I kind of love them (I know Camelia Ophelia shares this)
- Make a 77th cup of tea
- Water Kieran II
- Watch this YouTube clip – or this one
- Take a quick selfie in the loo (Snapchat filter optional)
I’m a big believer in PMA. I know people have bad days and miserable ones, I do too but generally I try not to let inertia creep in too much. Self-care is a very important topic for me and there are many more things I love to do to administer that. These are just the ‘work friendly’ ones I can conceivably get away with at my desk or around the workplace.
I’m not sure how ‘Dance around naked to Aerosmith’ would go down in our open plan office, truth be told.
BTW, I know this post is very ambiguous and it’s not like the cause of the office grump will ever read my blog. But I need to get it out every now and again, you know?
Out of interest, what do you do when the work blues kick in? ❤
And yes, I know we’ve got bigger problems in the world than a slightly bad day at work.