Ugh, you know what’s almost as scary as ghost sharks, home invasion and getting a paper cut between the fingers? Dentists. They’re terrifying in every way and what’s worse is that we need them in order to… have teeth.
I’ve recently had to bite the bullet and find a new dentist. Turns out I need a root canal, which I’ve had before and to be honest, can handle if I have to. It’s just that initial dread of having to visit the man in the white coat who’s just been waiting about to personally hurt me – both physically and financially.
My last dentist was fine (blunt AF but fine) but during our last appointment I had a panic attack in his chair and I just couldn’t bring myself to go back to the scene of the crime. He was sweet enough and it wasn’t his fault but I just suddenly got so overwhelmed that my body lost control.
I thought I was fine but as soon as my chin started to tremble, my body started to shake and tears started to run – I knew it was game over. It’s that foam stuff they fill your mouth with in order to take a mold of your teeth. The worst invention of all time.
My new dentist, however is doing little to keep the fear going. He’s lovely, reassuring and has a little tattoo of a tooth on his leg. How can I be scared of that? Thanks to him my teeth are looking better than ever and even though I have to have the dreaded RC on November 5th (remember, remember), I feel hopeful for the future of my smile for the first time in years.
I kind of need to be a little scared of the dentist though, it seem more natural. We can’t become friends. That would be like accidentally becoming BFFs with Jason Voorhees, it would upset the natural order of the universe. Some things are just meant to make you feel icky.
What is your ‘every day’ fear?
This blog isn’t all book reviews you know. Sometimes I get out of the house and spend time with real human people!
I thought it might be nice to start a series called My Instagram Life, since I spend so much time on it. I’m not so sure why this particular app is so much more addictive to me than others, I can only assume it is down to the people I follow who have such picture perfect existences*!
*Yes, I realise any life can look extraordinary with the right filter – even mine!)
(From top left to right, by row)
- Spent the night with Mr von Trier ~ As you know, I spent much of my night watching a lot of sex on the big screen (and stuffing my face with Metcalfe’s Skinny Popcorn). I decided to skip the jumbo hot dog… My thoughts on the experience here
- Came home to cupcakes ~ My friend Colleen has specially made me red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese icing as a thank you for getting her a job at my work. No need, but I will always accept such treats; nom!
- Went to an opening of new cafe bar, Al Campo ~ My boss got tickets to the opening of this frankly lush new venue so we went for some free drinks and tapas after work. This place is really cool! It’s huge, everyone is really nice and the food; double nom!
- Got F to #selfie with me ~ We’re a relatively new team so this was a nice bonding exercise (The evening, not the selfie)
- The details ~ Al Campo has some incredible details but I think my favourite is the painted rings on some of the tables. A thrifty but artistic way to vamp up any old table (or whatever you fancy)
- I ate Baba Ganoush ~ Although I knew this was a dish, the name has always stuck in my mind because it’s so delicious to say! I also thought it was a character in Fables, but apparently I was thinking of Baba Yaga. Awkward
- B & B met ~ The Little Prince is a little frightened of dogs, especially yappy ones but thankfully Baxter is a dream, so he was able to conquer a bit of fear this weekend. I am so proud of him and is was total cute overload!
- A Dog’s Life ~ I am completely in love with Baxter myself. I want one of my own so much
- The first sign of sun ~ And it’s time for the obligatory couple shot! I love my man very much, look at him!
So a good week with lots of highs. It’s amazing what good company, food and a little bit of Vitamin D can do!
Are you a prolific picture snapper or do you prefer to be in the moment?